FD murder suspect dies in Des Moines
Just 14 hours after he allegedly shot and killed a woman in Fort Dodge, 27-year-old Adarius Keshawn Clayton took his own life as law enforcement officers closed in on him in Des Moines.
According to a release from the Fort Dodge Police Department, a shooting was reported Thursday shortly before 10 p.m. in the 700 block of Seventh Avenue North. When first responders arrived at the scene, they located an unresponsive female victim in the parking lot at 707 Seventh Ave. N. The victim was soon pronounced dead and has been identified as 26-year-old Nicole Reza, of Fort Dodge.
Early Friday morning, an arrest warrant was issued for Clayton, of Fort Dodge, charging him with first-degree murder.
According to First Assistant Webster County Attorney Ryan Baldridge, investigators received information early on Friday that led them to believe Clayton was in the Des Moines metro area.
Around noon Friday, law enforcement from several agencies located Clayton in the area of the 5200 block of Northeast 14th Street in Des Moines. When officers attempted to make contact with the suspect, he pulled out a gun and fatally shot himself, an updated release from the FDPD said.
The investigation into Thursday night’s homicide continues, according to Baldridge.
“In any investigation once charges are made, the investigation continues beyond a charging decision,” he said. “This is done to ensure all possible evidence is gathered, collected and analyzed.”
Anyone with information is encouraged to contact law enforcement immediately by calling the Webster County Law Enforcement Center at 515-573-2323. Tips can be submitted to Crime Stoppers by calling 515-573-1444 or by texting “LEC” and the tip to 274-637.
The FDPD was assisted by the Webster County Sheriff’s Office, Des Moines Police Department; Polk County Sheriff’s Office; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation; and U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force, as well as local emergency medical services.
At the time of his death, Clayton was on parole, according to the Iowa Department of Corrections. In 2013, he pleaded guilty to second-degree robbery, eluding, possession of offensive weapons, third-degree criminal mischief and operating a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent. He had been arrested following an armed robbery at the Coalville Stop-N-Shop in October 2013.


