Gaels go back and forth with Lions

Messenger photo by Britt Kudla: Hayden Derrig of St. Edmond dives to make a catch against Clear Lake on Wednesday at Rogers Park. For more photos, please visit CU.messengernews.net

It was a tale of two innings for the St. Edmond baseball team on Wednesday.

And then the weather took center stage.

The Gaels (6-3 overall) had two rough frames against Clear Lake (6-6), as the Lions scored five runs in the first inning and added six more in the seventh to rally for a 13-10 lead.

After Grant Galles caught the final out in the top of the seventh, the umpires and coaches had a conference on the field. Lightning was spotted 10 miles away, so the contest was suspended with three outs remaining.

The game was first stopped at approximately 7:45 p.m. After a few more lightning sightings and a persistent bout of rain, the decision was made to suspend play.

The NCC tilt will resume in the same scenario — the bottom of the seventh with the Lions ahead 13-10 — on July 1 at Clear Lake, when the Gaels travel to finish the series.

“We came out shaky, but responded and shored up some things,” said SEHS head coach Mike Szalat. “After that first inning, our defense played really well and we did some good things on the bases.”

The Lions pounded four hits and went through their entire lineup as the Gaels committed three errors in the opening frame.

St. Edmond quickly responded with a five-spot in the bottom half of the first. Jack McElroy had an RBI single to plate JT Laufersweiler. Kade Schlegel added a two-run single, and Hayden Derrig contributed an RBI single.

“We responded (in the first),” Szalat said. “We made a lot of errors in that first inning, but we were able to get them back.”

The Gaels kept tacking on runs, plating a run in the second and then two in both the fourth and fifth.

St. Edmond had a 10-7 lead going into the seventh, but the Gaels gave up six runs on four Clear Lake hits.

“I still have a sour taste in my mouth,” Szalat said. “It was the right move to make in the seventh, bringing JT in (to pitch) for Jack (McElroy). Jack had thrown a lot of pitches and JT has two saves this year.

“I would make that move every time, it just didn’t work out.”

Grant Galles finished with three hits, while Derrig and Schlegel had two each. Max Webster and Schlegel had two RBI each.

Laufersweiler, Galles and McElroy each drove in a run.

The Gaels stole five bases.

St. Edmond had a big defensive stand in the fourth inning after two Lion runs. The Gaels used a deceptive pickoff play, as McElroy got a runner out at second.

The inning ended when Derrig made a diving stab at a line drive, then threw to first for a double play.

The Gaels are back in action on Thursday when they travel to Eagle Grove. First varsity pitch is set for 7:30 p.m.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today