Swing for a Cure
Mark your calendars for the 14th annual Swing for a Cure golf outing! This year’s event is scheduled for Friday, June 7th at the Fort Dodge Country Club. The day will kick off with lunch beginning at 11 a.m. followed by a shotgun start at 12 p.m. for the 4-person best-shot, flighted tournament. Golfer registration includes golf, cart, and 2 meals for $100 per person. Golfer prizes include 16 flag events with $150 golfer awards each, $500 par 3 bonus, $10,000 hole-in-one, and wonderful flight prizes. Raffle tickets are available for $5 each or 5 for $20. Raffle prizes include a $300 Scheels Gift Card, Apple Watch, iPad, and Fit Bit (includes 6 consults with a Registered Dietitian). Raffle winners do not need to be present at the event to win. To register visit:fdcc-2019swingforacure.golfgenius.com.
Thank you to our sponsors for helping to make this year’s event a success!
• Raffle Sponsor: UnityPoint Clinic Nephrology — Dr. Michael Lee & Darlene Turner, ARNP
• Lunch Sponsor: Hy-Vee Grocery
• Golf Ball Sponsor: Citizens Community Credit Union
• Water Sponsor: Blue Ribbon Pelham Waters
• T-shirt Sponsor: Harris Directional Boring, Inc & Torgerson Excavating
• Event tent provided by: Woodruff construction
• $10,000 Hole-in-One Sponsor: Kingsgate Insurance
• $500 Par 3 Bonus Sponsor: Ja-Mar Drive In
$250 Contest Sponsors:
• Beebe Plumbing and Heating Inc.
• Ameriprise Financial Services
• Cornwell, Frideres, Maher & Associates
• Executive Functions Management
• First State Bank
• Fort Dodge Ford Lincoln Toyota
• Great Western Bank
• Humboldt Mutual Insurance
• Josephson Manufacturing Company
• Kallin-Johnson Monument Company
• Nick Hildreth Memorial Clinic
• Nielsen Financial Management
• Reekers Heating & Cooling
• Siouxland Scale Service, Inc.-Farnhamville
• UnityPoint Clinic Nephrology — Dr. Michael Lee & Darlene Turner, ARNP
The outpouring of generosity and support Swing for a Cure receives year after year is a wonderful testament to this community’s members and businesses. Because of this generous support, this event has raised $163,544 over the past 13 years for the Trinity Diabetes Center!
Diabetes ranks as the 7th leading cause of death nationwide with 1 in 3 people being diagnosed in their lifetime. When diabetes goes undiagnosed or uncontrolled, serious health complications can occur. Early diagnosis and education are key components to living a long and healthy life with diabetes. All proceeds from Swing for a Cure stay in our community, directly impacting the care of community members with both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. This is vital, as diabetes is one of the top healthcare needs for the Fort Dodge region. The proceeds raised in previous years have been used for various education efforts including sending children to Camp Hertko Hollow, providing innovative pre-diabetes programming, hosting an annual Diabetes Informational Fair, to purchase engaging teaching tools, and on-going staff training.
• Camp Hertko Hollow specializes in diabetes care and education for children living with diabetes. Children are given the unique opportunity to enjoy time with peers who share many of the same day-to-day challenges that come with having diabetes. In summer 2018, Swing for a Cure covered registration fees for 6 children who attended camp.
• The best method to control diabetes is to prevent it from occurring in the first place. Trinity Diabetes Center is continuing to offer research based pre-diabetes education. This year-long, group-based, intensive program provides those with pre-diabetes the knowledge and skills to delay or prevent the development of Type 2 diabetes. Research shows that by losing just 5-7% of starting body weight, an individual can reduce their risk of developing diabetes by 58%. Participants enrolled in Trinity Diabetes Center’s program lost an average of 7.57% or the equivalent of 22 pounds per person!
• The annual Diabetes Fair is held each spring and features various guests discussing the prevention and treatment of diabetes. For the 2019 fair, we had a panel of providers including: Dr. Michael Lee, Dr. Mark Hartman, Megan Hopp, ARNP, Dr. Jeffery Foreman, and Andrea Larson, ARNP, available to answer questions about diabetes.
• Staff training ensures diabetes educators stay current with the latest technologies and treatments. This guarantees individuals seen in the Trinity Diabetes Center receive best care for better outcomes. During the 2018 year, educators attended the Iowa Diabetes Summit in Des Moines.
If you would like to purchase raffle tickets, interested in becoming a sponsor, or would like more information, please contact the Trinity Diabetes Center at (515) 574-6350.