Water from melted pipe douses house fire

Water spraying from a melted pipe put out a fire in the basement of a Fort Dodge house Monday morning.

The fire at 221 N. 13th St. was reported at 8:57 a.m.

”When we got there, the fire had been extinguished by the pipe spraying water,” Fire Chief Steve Hergenreter said. ”Luckily, there was a water pipe right in that area.”

A teenage boy and a dog in the house escaped unharmed.

The boy was asleep when the fire started, Hergenreter said. When he woke up, the house was completely full of smoke and he had ”zero visibility,” according to the chief.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)