Fire wrecks kitchen in FD apartment

No one injured Saturday

-Messenger photo by Bill Shea
Fort Dodge firefighters and police were on the scene of a kitchen fire Saturday morning at 21 1/2 N. 14th St. The man who lives in the apartment escaped unharmed after throwing water on the flames.

A Fort Dodge man managed to put out much of a fire burning in his kitchen, but the Saturday morning incident left his apartment unlivable.

The man escaped injury, according to Fire Department Capt. Steve Teske.

The fire at 21 ½ N. 14th St. was reported at 9:54 a.m. Saturday.

Teske said the man was cooking in his basement apartment. He said a plate with a dish towel on top of it was left next to the hot element on the stove. The man left the kitchen briefly and that dish towel ignited. The man came back into the kitchen and began throwing water from the sink onto the flames.

“He stopped a lot of it,” Teske said.

Firefighters used a pressurized water extinguisher to put out the remaining flames. The fire damage was significant, however.

“The kitchen is wrecked,” Teske said.

The apartment is in the basement of a house owned by Becker Realty, of Fort Dodge.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today