Bond set at $1 million in murder case

Preliminary hearing scheduled for March 29

Amarrion Isom

MARSHALLTOWN — The former Fort Dodge man who stands accused of murdering 27-year-old Isaiah Forest, of Marshalltown, on March 17 remains in the Marshall County Jail on a $1 million bond and is scheduled to make an appearance at a preliminary hearing on March 29.

Amarrion Demeir Isom, 20, was charged with both first degree murder and armed robbery over the weekend in connection with two separate incidents.

According to a criminal complaint, the circumstances that ultimately resulted in Forest’s death arose from a dispute over a debt between he and Isom.

The complaint states that a witness reported being with Isom on March 17 at a home on Boone Street. The witness said Isom went to the door with a pistol grip shotgun, raised the gun and pulled the trigger, and the two then left the area together.

The witness also told authorities that Isom disposed of “a rolled up rug that contained multiple guns,” including the alleged murder weapon, shortly thereafter.

Another witness reported speaking to Forest on the telephone at about 3:24 p.m. just minutes before he was shot.

When interviewed by law enforcement, Isom initially denied having any contact with Forest on the day of his death, but cell phone records indicated multiple communications, including a final text from Isom to Forest at 2:14 p.m. that read “Glad to know u in town c u soon.”

Isom’s cell phone was shown to be in the area of 618 W. Boone St., where Forest was found dead, at around 3:38 p.m. The police report indicates that the shooting occurred around 3:40 p.m.

An autopsy conducted at the Office of the State Medical Examiner classified Forest’s cause of death as a gunshot wound and his manner of death as homicide. District Court Judge Amy Moore has been appointed to preside over the murder case.

Isom is also being held on a $50,000 bond for the armed robbery charge he faces, and a criminal complaint filed in that case shed more light on the alleged incident.

According to the report, the alleged victim said Isom robbed her on foot and at gunpoint at the corner of the Grant Street Apartments — threatening to shoot her and stealing her bag because her boyfriend owed Isom $150 — but she believed he did not shoot her because there were witnesses nearby.

The victim showed a police officer proof of Isom texting her boyfriend that the bag he stole from her had nothing in it and that her boyfriend still needed to pay. She said she did not report it at that time because “she did not want any problems.”

In addition to the life sentence he faces if convicted of murder, Isom could be sentenced to up to 25 years of incarceration if convicted of the robbery charge.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today