FD City Council sets levy limit
Total rate will be 30 cents lower than current levy
The Fort Dodge City Council put a maximum limit on part of the property tax levy that will be in place for the next fiscal year.
The total levy is expected to be $20.12 per $1,000 of taxable value.
That is 30 cents less than the current levy of $20.42 per $1,000 of taxable value.
The measure approved Monday addresses just part of the total levy.
It establishes these maximum levies:
• $8.10 for the general fund, which pays for police and fire protection, the library, Blanden Memorial Art Museum, and parks and recreation programs not covered by fees.
• $6.26 for employee benefits.
• 44 cents for property and liability insurance.
• 33 cents for Dodger Area Rapid Transit.
• 27 cents to help balance the general fund.
• 11 cents for Citizens Central.
• 8 cents for Webster County Emergency Management.
The measure does not include the levies for paying off general obligation bond debt or funding the Karl L. King Municipal Band.
Adding those two items will bring the total levy up to $20.12 per $1,000 of taxable value.
The council approved the measure unanimously with no discussion.