Garage lost in fire
A garage on fire was reported around 3 p.m. Friday in the 1200 block of South 27th Street.
According to Fort Dodge Fire Chief Steve Hergenreter, when the Fort Dodge Fire Department arrived, the garage was fully engulfed in flames and strong winds had carried the heat to the main house and the houses to the north and south.
Hergenreter said neighbors informed the Fire Department that there were dogs in the main home. Firefighters forced a door open, found the interior full of smoke and rescued three dogs.
The occupants of the home were not present at the time of the fire.
The garage was completely destroyed and the home and neighboring houses sustained damage. Hergenreter said all houses were able to be saved.
No injuries were reported and Hergenreter said all three dogs seemed to be unharmed.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical short.
The Fort Dodge Police Department and MidAmerican Energy also responded to the scene.