Mattress, curtains burned in small fire

-Messenger photo by Bill Shea
Fort Dodge firefighters place a partially burned mattress and a box spring outside an apartment at 304 Ave. M West Wednesday evening.The mattress and curtains on a bedroom window were burned in a small fire that was reported at 6:45 p.m. Someone in the apartment threw a bucket of water on the flames before firefighters arrived, extinguishing most of the fire. ‘‘There was a lighter there,’’ Fire Department Lt. Nathan Conrad said. ‘‘It looks as though someone might have been playing with a lighter.’’ No one was injured and Conrad said the residents would be able to stay in the apartment.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today