‘Foul smell’ causes evacuation of Target
A suspected natural gas leak prompted Target to evacuate its employees and guests on Tuesday afternoon.
At 4:21 p.m., the Fort Dodge Fire Department was dispatched to the store, 2910 First Ave. S., to investigate a “foul smell” in the area.
According to Trent Lawrence, a closing team leader at Target, there were multiple areas inside the store where the smell was emanating from and the staff suspected a natural gas leak.
It took less than five minutes to evacuate the 25 to 30 employees and 50 customers who were inside the store at the time.
“It went very smooth,” he said.
There were no injuries or illnesses reported.
According to Lt. Eric Conell, Fort Dodge Fire Department, the department was unable to find any natural gas leaks within the building when it conducted an investigation. The department contacted MidAmerican Energy to follow up, and cleared the building for staff and customers to enter.