×

Unattended candle sparks apartment fire

-Messenger photo by Kelby Wingert
An unattended candle was the cause of a small apartment fire at 215 N. 12th St. just before noon on Monday. According to Fort Dodge Fire Department Chief Steve Hergenreter, the occupant of the basement apartment unit had left a candle unattended, which ignited the fire. The building has seven units and is owned by Pat Harvey, he said. The basement unit’s living room and bedroom have heavy fire, heat and smoke damage, Hergenreter said. There was also smoke damage to the first and second floor. There were no injuries reported and all occupants were able to get out safely, the fire chief said. The Fort Dodge Fire Department was assisted by the Fort Dodge Police Department and MidAmerican Energy Co.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today