×

No injuries in house fire west of FD

Blaze started from fireplace, chief reported

BARNUM — Nicholas McDonald had just put his son to bed when he noticed his house was filling with smoke Thursday night, according to reports from Barnum Fire Chief Nick Ruhland, who is also a Fort Dodge firefighter.

“The home owner had a fire going in the fireplace,” Ruhland said. “He put it out and was putting his son to bed when he noticed it was smoky.”

Firefighters were dispatched at 8:53 p.m. to the home located at 1846 200th St., west of Fort Dodge.

The glow of the flames could be seen from Iowa Highway 7, which is about a mile north of the home.

Everyone inside escaped without serious injury, according to Ruhland.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation, he reported.

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the back living room area of the home.

“There was smoke damage throughout the house, but the main fire damage was in that living room,” Ruhland said. “We were lucky enough to have a hydrant outside of the residence. It was mostly exterior, so we were able to knock that down and get inside and get it knocked down.”

The Fort Dodge Fire Department along with volunteer firefighters from Barnum, Clare and Moorland responded. Webster County sheriff’s deputies were also on scene.

Firefighters remained on scene for about three hours.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)