×

Firefighters put out kitchen fire on Thanksgiving

ROCKWELL CITY — Rockwell City firefighters broke away from their families on Thanksgiving Day to prevent a kitchen fire from spreading inside of a home, according to Shane Voith, Rockwell City fire chief.

The fire at 731 Richmond St. was reported at about 6:30 p.m. Thursday.

“It was called in as a kitchen on fire,” Voith said. “They (family) called back and thought they had it out, but they didn’t.”

Voith said the fire started due an electrical issue.

“It burned up in the wall and into the ceiling a little bit, but wasn’t too much to put it out,” Voith said.

Voith said that firefighters were on scene for about an hour.

“We had a pretty good turnout for it being Thanksgiving,” Voith said.

No one was injured.

The one-and-a-half story home is owned by Justin and Tonya Bergenson, according to the Calhoun County assessor’s page.