Welding gas tank in city garage catches fire

An acetylene tank for a welding set located in the Fort Dodge city garage caught fire Tuesday morning, but caused no other damage to the building.

Fire Chief Steve Hergenreter said the tank was in operation when it started burning. The Fire Department was contacted at 10:03 a.m. for the fire at 3001 Eighth Ave. S.

“When the Fire Department got there, we were able to extinguish the fire and the tank leaking acetylene gas,” Hergenreter said. “They moved it out to a safe location on the property there to let it vent off into the atmosphere.”

The fire was contained to the oxygen-acetylene welding set , according to the chief.

It’s unclear how the fire started, but Hergenreter said it’s believed that there was an acetylene leak that ignited at the back of the tank.

Nobody was hurt, and employees were allowed to return to work once the fire was contained.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today