Jensen Builders celebrates 40th anniversary
Entrepreneurship is in Dale Jensen’s blood. His father, Duane, took a leap of faith when he left his job as a truck driver for Fort Dodge By-Products to purchase a dump truck and start his own hauling business.
Dale Jensen took a similar leap on March 3, 1983, when he started a small construction company with just a couple of employees and worked out of his garage. In the last 40 years, the company has grown to approximately 250 employees and includes two office buildings.
“I’m so proud of all of the people who have contributed to the growth of this organization,” said Jensen. “At age 25, I decided to start my own company. I saw my father take the same risk, and he never had a regret, and neither do I. Doing this work, alongside my family and our hard-working employees, is more rewarding than I ever could have imagined.”
When Jensen started the company, he only did small concrete jobs. As demand increased, his wife, Terri, joined the team. She ran the office and as the company grew, the work expanded to steel buildings and carpentry. Today, Jensen Builders Ltd. provides concrete construction, pre-engineered metal buildings, agricultural buildings, commercial construction, metal roof retrofit, and much more.
The corporate headquarters are located at 1175 S. 32nd St. in Fort Dodge, and another office is in Des Moines. Dale and Terri’s daughter, Nicole Crimmins, and her husband, Jason, also work for the company.
“Our focus has always been on two things; providing quality, on-time construction and ensuring that our employees have an excellent work environment,” said Dale Jensen.
The company recently made the transition from family owned and operated to 100 percent employee-owned. Jensen said the employee stock ownership plan rewards employees for their hard work and dedication, preserves the company’s future, and creates a workplace where employees feel valued and appreciated.
“Terri and I are so excited for the future of this company,” he said. “Even though it’s been 40 years, I feel like we are just getting started.”
In addition to numerous concrete street projects in and around Fort Dodge, Jensen Builders Ltd. has been the general contractor for these state and area construction projects:
• Iowa National Guard Gold Star Museum, Camp Dodge
• Almost Home Animal Shelter, Fort Dodge
• Calcium Products Inc., Fort Dodge
• MidAmerican Energy, Fonda
• Gold Eagle Cooperative, Titonka
• Ag Reliant Corn Research Facility, Boone
• Des Moines International Airport warehouse, Des Moines
• Donna Jean Monkelien Pavilion in Oleson Park, Fort Dodge
• Childcare Discovery Center, Fort Dodge
• Two projects at Friendship Haven, Fort Dodge
• Mineral City Mill & Grill, Fort Dodge
• Iowa Central Community College Student Services Building, Fort Dodge
• Decker Truck Line Inc. headquarters, Fort Dodge
• Fort Dodge Ford Lincoln Toyota