Ronald Dilley pleaded guilty Friday morning to murdering Steven Fisher by hitting him four times in the head with a hatchet.
Dilley, who had been facing a first-degree murder charge, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, which carries a maximum penalty of 50 years in prison. Judge Kurt Wilke accepted Dilley's plea to the lesser charge and set May 5 as the sentencing date.
Dilley, 29, said he killed Fisher because the victim made "a comment that upset me."
-Messenger photo by Hans Madsen
Ronald Dilley, 29, listens to Webster County Attorney Cori Kuhn Coleman during his plea hearing Friday morning in Webster County District Court. Dilley pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the killing of Steven Fisher, of Fort Dodge, on July 6, 2013 then leaving his body near Otho.
He also said he left Fisher's body in a field before driving into Fort Dodge and fleeing.
Holly Ekstrom, who has also been charged in Fisher's death, has pleaded not guilty and is set to stand trial starting July 22.