Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Fire damages FD home

Burn barrel may have caused blaze

December 23, 2013
Joe Sutter (jsutter@messengernews.net) , Messenger News

An unattended burn barrel may have been the cause of a house fire that partially damaged a home Sunday afternoon.

Fort Dodge Fire Capt. Paul Neeson said the homeowner, Frank Trevino, had been gone about half an hour before the fire was called in.

"There was a unattended burn barrel on the patio in the rear of the structure. We believe that may have been part of the cause," Neeson said.

Article Photos

-Messenger photo by Joe Sutter
Fort Dodge Fire Chief Kent Hulett carries out a small Daschund rescued from a burning home at 218 First Ave. N. Sunday afternoon. The dog was shaken but not hurt, and was carried across the street to reunite with its owner. No one was home when the fire started.

The fire department arrived at about 12:45 p.m., he said, and found smoke coming from under the eves and flames going up the back wall of the house.

No one was in the home, but the fire department did rescue a small dog that had been at home.

Damage to the house, located at 218 First Ave. N., was mostly confined to the rear addition, he said. The main part of the house suffered some moderate smoke and water damage.

The fire had gone up the outside wall and was burning in the attic of the addition. The department had to cut through the roof and layers of plywood and wallboard to reach that hidden fire.

 
 

 

I am looking for: