Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Calhoun County home gutted by fire

November 8, 2012
Messenger News

ROCKWELL CITY - A house west of Rockwell City was ravaged by a pair of fires Tuesday, but no one was injured.

The blazes occurred at the home of Dave and Meryl Hiler at 2266 270th St., according to Rockwell City Fire Chief Shane Voith.

He said the first fire was reported at about 4:30 a.m. when the residents were awakened by their dog making noise in the home's attached garage. They found smoke in the garage and called the fire department.

Voith said that fire damaged the entire attic of the house. It was caused, he said, by a faulty chimney.

Almost 18 hours later, flames ignited again in what firefighters call a rekindle. Voith said the second blaze was reported at about 10 p.m. The flames, he said, reduced the house to a burnt out shell with most of its roof destroyed.

The Lake City Fire Department was called to assist at the second incident.

 
 

 

I am looking for: