Allison forced to withdraw

Kidney stones sideline St. Edmond senior

Messenger photo by Britt Kudla Connor Allison of St. Edmond wrestles during the sectional tournament earlier this season.

DES MOINES — Thursday marked a somber end to St. Edmond senior Connor Allison’s career.

Allison (19-8), who was a district runner-up, had to withdraw from competition after getting kidney stones earlier this week.

“Words can’t express how disappointed Connor is,” said second-year St. Edmond head coach Matt Petsinger. “It started Tuesday, and we thought they were gone and all we had to do was get some weight off.

“Then we found out (Thursday mroning) they were still there and he couldn’t go.”

Allison was at Trinity Regional Medical Center in Fort Dodge on Thursday.

“Connor had a stent put in, as he had two kidney stones,” said Connor’s father, Jamie. “Surgery went well, and he will be referred to a specialist in Iowa City next week for a procedure to help him pass the stones.

“Connor is doing well after surgery.”

Allison was scheduled to face Mason Wickman (35-12) of Alburnett in the first round at 132 pounds.

Allison also missed the first part of the season recovering from an injury he suffered in the fall on the football field. A district qualifier last season, Allison would have been competing in his first state tournament.

“It looks like my wrestling days are over,” Connor said. “Those are some tough words to swallow. It was a very ‘interesting’ season for me. I missed the first half of the season due to a football injury and was so eager to get back in.

“I had to drink tons of water to help ‘pass’ it. I was 10 pounds over, and I was determined to lose that weight to wrestle. I lost all that weight and ended up having to go back to the hospital because the stone was still there. All my hard work and dedication out just like that.

“I just want to say thanks to everyone who has supported me. I’m sorry for not being able to compete at the Well.”

Connor’s twin brother, Cole, had to injury default at the sectional tournament. Cole Allison, a two-time state medalist, had to pull out of his sectional semifinal match after re-injuring his elbow that forced him out for the last half of the season.

“Both of those boys are so mentally tough,” Jamie Allison said. “They’ve all had setbacks, but neither one of them quit.”

Petsinger readily acknowledged what the Allison brothers meant to his program.

“They’re both really good leaders,” Petsinger said. “They weren’t afraid to do anything extra, and when anybody needed help, they were both right there, willing to help out the younger kids.”