Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS

Armed suspect chased through FD

Two caught after Coalville robbery

October 31, 2013
By PETER KASPARI ( , Messenger News

An accused armed robber and his passenger are in custody after leading law enforcement on a high-speed chase through downtown Fort Dodge Wednesday afternoon.

Adarius K. Clayton, 18, of Fort Dodge, is facing charges in connection with the robbery and chase, which began in Coalville and continued into Fort Dodge.

His passenger, Adranna Trevino, 21, also of Fort Dodge, was arrested on an outstanding warrant, according to Webster County Sheriff Jim Stubbs.

Article Photos

Fort Dodge Police officer Matt Webb, left, Iowa State Patrol Lt. Kelly Hindman, center, and Fort Dodge Police officer Kyle Korte keep Adarius Clayton, a suspect in an armed robbery, under control Wednesday afternoon following a chase that ended in the 400 block of North Ninth Street. Another suspect had already been taken into custody. The pair, who were sought after a robbery at the Coalville Stop N Shop in Coalville, crashed a car, that had been reportedly stolen, into a pillar at the Corpus Christi Parish Center..

Around 2:21 p.m., Clayton allegedly robbed the Coalville Stop N Shop, 23930 Boies St., while armed with a sawed-off 12-gauge shotgun, Stubbs said. He fled the scene in a 2000 gold Buick LeSabre, which had been reported stolen to the Fort Dodge Police Department less than 30 minutes earlier.

Stubbs said Clayton got away with an undetermined amount of cash.

As Clayton fled on 250th Street near the NEW Co-op, Sgt. Jayson Heesch, of the Webster County Sheriff's Department, spotted the Buick driving in the opposite direction. Heesch turned around and began tailing the Buick.

According to Stubbs, that's when the chase began.

Clayton then drove north on U.S. Highway 169 toward Fort Dodge, according to Stubbs, but when he reached the intersection of U.S. Highway 20 and Kenyon Road he went north in the southbound lane. Eventually, Clayton got back into the northbound lane and turned onto Avenue C, and then to Kenyon Road.

From there, Stubbs said Clayton got onto North Ninth Street and kept driving until he reached Corpus Christi Church.

"In the parking lot he hit a pillar embankment on the rectory," Stubbs said.

Clayton and Trevino fled on foot before being caught near Fourth Avenue North and North Ninth Street around 2:40 p.m.

Stubbs said Clayton has been charged with first-degree robbery, second-degree theft and felony eluding. He's also facing another charge of second-degree theft for allegedly stealing the Buick.

As of late Wednesday afternoon, Trevino had not been charged in relation to the alleged robbery, Stubbs said.

Stubbs said the response to the robbery and chase, which included the Iowa State Patrol and Fort Dodge Police Department, shows the strength of the partnership between all three agencies.

"This proves what good comes out of all the law enforcement agencies working together," he said. "It really shows how good of a partnership we have when everybody is on the same page."



I am looking for: