By JOE SUTTER
Demolition of Expo Pool could begin by Nov. 10, depending on the weather, according to discussion at a Fort Dodge Parks and Recreation meeting Wednesday.
Two bids for the demolition were received, one from Rasch Construction for $78,000, and one from Hovey Construction for $146,000.
Parks and Recreation Director Lori Branderhorst said the City Council will likely accept the bid from Rasch at its Monday meeting.
"Right now, we are doing asbestos abatement," Branderhorst said. "There was asbestos found when they did the test last year, in the caulk. We'll be abating that in the month of November."
The company will remove the pool completely, and not fill it in as was discussed earlier, she said, because the potential cost savings were not as great as originally estimated.
The earliest work could begin is Nov. 10. Rasch still hopes to complete the work this year, weather permitting. Branderhorst said the city hopes to seed the site this winter.
There's plenty of money for the demolition, she added, but not much for construction of the park.
"We've got the shelter to do yet, and we've got a couple of things we have to do yet," she said. "The all-purpose court may not get built."