By BILL SHEA
Fire ravaged the second floor and attic of a Fort Dodge duplex Monday afternoon.
Fort Dodge firefighter pulls a bundle of hose as he and his colleagues move in to extinguish a fire at 1310 and 1310 1/2 Fourth Ave. S. Monday afternoon. The blaze caused extensive damage to the second floor and attic.
No one was injured. A cat that survived the fire was removed from the first floor apartment.
The fire was the second one in two days to strike the duplex at 1310 and 1310 1/2 Fourth Ave. S.
The Monday afternoon fire is under investigation by Assistant Fire Chief Doug Ostbloom, who is the city's fire marshal, and the Fort Dodge Police Department.
The smoky blaze that ignited Monday afternoon was reported at 1:32 p.m. Firefighters had to cut open walls and ceilings in numerous places to get at the flames.
Neighbors said the couple who lived in the upstairs apartment moved out about a week ago. One woman lived in the downstairs apartment, they said.
Fire Department Capt. Mitch Sells said the cat was trapped in a corner in an area of the first floor apartment that wasn't filled with smoke. He said it would not come to the firefighters, so after the fire was out he escorted the resident into the apartment to get the cat.
He identified the resident as Lori Agnes.
The Fort Dodge fire and police departments responded. City public works crews put up barricades at Fourth Avenue South and 13th Street to prevent traffic from getting near the fire scene.
Emergency personnel were on the scene until 4:45 p.m.
On Sunday night firefighters were called to the duplex at 7:20 p.m. and were there about two hours putting out a fire.
Sells said Monday's fire was not a rekindle of the the one the day before.
The house is owned by Marjorie A. Flannery, of Fort Dodge, according to online records of the Webster County Assessors Office. Those records indicate that it was built in 1886.