Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Blaze ignites attic of FD home

Smoke detectors alert residents

December 14, 2012
By BILL SHEA, bshea@messengernews.net , Messenger News

Five people escaped unharmed from an early Friday morning fire that destroyed the attic of a Fort Dodge house and burned some holes in its roof.

The fire at 1803 Second Ave. N. was reported at 1:50 a.m.

''There was a lot of fire when we arrived,'' said Fire Department Capt. Steve Hergenreter. ''The smoke detector probably saved their lives.''

Article Photos

-Submitted photo
Flames erupt through the roof of a house at 1803 Second Ave. N. in Fort Dodge early Friday morning. Five people in the house escaped unharmed after the noise from smoke detectors woke them up.

He said five people - three children and two adults - were asleep in the house when the sound of smoke detectors woke them up. He said they found smoke in the attic.

When firefighters arrived two minutes after receiving the call, smoke and fire was coming out of an attic window, according to Hergenreter.

He reported heavy fire damage in the attic, including holes in the roof, and the loss of the items stored in the attic. He said there was water and smoke damage in the rest of the house.

The fire was probably caused by a problem with electrical wiring, he said.

The two-story house with a walkup attic is owned by Kit Hovey, of Fort Dodge, according to online records of the Webster County Assessor's Office. It is a rental property.

Five off-duty firefighters were called in to assist.

 
 

 

I am looking for: