Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

FD fire leads to investigation

Police, fire respond to garage someone apparently lived in

December 7, 2012
By BILL SHEA, bshea@messengernews.net , Messenger News

A garage that was apparently being used as an apartment was damaged during a Friday night fire in Fort Dodge.

No one was in the building when firefighters arrived and no one was injured.

The single-car garage is behind 1717 Second Ave. S. The fire there was reported at about 7:05 p.m. when smoke was spotted billowing from the building.

Article Photos


-Messenger photo by Bill Shea
Fort Dodge firefighters work Friday night at the scene of fire inside a garage that was apparently being used as a home. No one was injured, and the cause was determined to be smoking materials. However, police officers continued to examine the site late Friday night.

Firefighters took a hoseline in through the side door of the building and doused the flames.

Inside, they found a bed, clothes, a computer and other items that suggested the garage was being used as a home.

''The neighbors say they think somebody has been living in the garage,'' Fire Department Capt. Paul Neeson said.

He added that a barbecue grill in the garage may have been used as a source of heat.

However, Neeson said the fire was caused by discarded smoking material, such as a cigarette, that ignited clothes hanging on a rack and a carpet on the floor.

Although the cause of the fire was determined, police officers continued to examine the scene. At least three paper bags full of items were taken from the scene by officers for further analysis.

Online records of the Webster County assessor's office list Kevin I. Andersen as the property owner.

Firefighters left the scene at about 8:30 p.m., but police remained there later Friday night.

 
 

 

I am looking for: