Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Humboldt sups approve purchase of conservation land

October 9, 2012
By ROBERT WOLF (editor@messengernews.net) , Messenger News

DAKOTA CITY - The Humboldt County Board of Supervisors approved a land purchase to be used for conservation purposes Monday.

The area includes 57 acres along Prairie Creek about three miles north of Renwick. Total cost of the purchase is $124,977.

"We were successful in getting a Habitat Stamp grant to pay for 75 percent of the cost; that comes out to $94,071," said Conservation Director Todd Lee. "The remaining 25 percent, Pheasants Forever kicked in $10,000 and the remaining $20,906 will come from the county's REAP money."

Board Chairman Jerry Haverly said the county's Resource Enhancement and Protection Fund, funded by the state, "just sits there" until the county can find a use for it.

According to Haverly, the previous owners planted cedar trees there, Prairie Creek flows through the area and there are native grasses.

"There's probably good pheasant and deer hunting out there," he said.

Additional costs to the county for maintaining the area would probably be minimal, Lee said.

"Getting that grant for it was a big deal because that is hard to do and this kind of ground qualifies pretty well," Haverly said.

Supervisor Harley Hett said there is not much wildlife habitat in that part of the county.

According to County Auditor Peggy Rice, the purchase actually involves three parcels in Section 14 of Vernon Township.

The board approved the purchase unanimously.

In other business:

"Someone stole our only pair of deer crossing signs that we have in the county," he said. They were located along Gotch Park Road south of Humboldt.

In one case they must have used a pickup to push over the post, Jacobson said.

The county does not have replacement signs.

Jacobson said the theft has been reported to the sheriff and the signs are stickered. Somewhere, someday they will show up, he said.

 
 

 

I am looking for: