The newly installed Chime Master Carillon at First United Methodist Church, 127 N. 10th St., will be dedicated at 6:15 p.m. May 1.
The carillon is a replacement for the 11 bells that originally were provided as a memorial to the memory of Sen. Jonathan Prentiss Dolliver and other family members. The new system will be rededicated to the memory of the Dolliver families and the Leightons, who later added the electric chiming system. The Rev. Stephen J. Bibb will preside at the service of dedication.
On May 1, 1915, the Dolliver Chime was first heard in a series of concerts in a three day celebration, part of the dedication festivities of the newly built First Methodist Episcopal Church of Fort Dodge.
The dedication event will take place in the sanctuary of First United Methodist. A recital will include several of the original tunes of the early concerts of 1915. The musical portion of the evening will be provided by several musicians, all a part of the congregation, as well as special music by the Chancel Choir. The date for the celebration service was chosen to coincide with the date of the original concert and dedication 86 years ago.
The service and carillon concert are without charge and open to the public. Outside seating will be available adjacent to the church, weather permitting. The entire service will be held in the sanctuary.
The new Chime Master Carillon is automatic, chiming the Westminster Chime at 9 a.m., noon, 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. daily. A brief noon day concert is heard with tunes appropriate to seasons of the church as well as patriotic and other carillon music. A keyboard is also provided for ringing the carillon manually. It is installed to allow for the carillon to be heard both inside the building as well as from the tower.
Following the evening service, a reception in Wesley Parlor will close the day of celebration.