PALMER - St. John Lutheran Church, Lizard township in rural Palmer, will celebrate its 125th anniversary on July 11.
Celebration services will begin at 10 a.m. that Sunday, with the Rev. Donald Mann officiating. Following the service, a catered meal will be served for a freewill donation.
The afternoon program will begin at 1:30 p.m., with former pastors, special guests and former and present members participating.
St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer will celebrate its 125th anniversary at 10 a.m. services July 11. A catered meal will be served at noon for a freewill donation, and afternoon fellowship is set at 1:30 p.m.
St. John congregation was established in 1885 when Lutheran immigrants moved into this area and gathered for worship. The first church was built on the ground east of the current church, and the church cemetery was laid out on this same tract of land.
In 1890, the church purchased 80 acres of ground where the current church and parsonage were built in 1930.