Take special care on the roads
Drive with extra caution during this extended New Year’s weekend
All across the Hawkeye State, people will be taking advantage of this long holiday weekend to celebrate the arrival of another new year, this one 2019. That makes it especially important that each of us resolve to keep our streets and highways safe.
How do we do that?
Paying heed to a few safety tips can help prevent what should be an exhilarating extended weekend from turning tragic.
Here are some tips:
• Observe speed limits and always drive with proper regard to weather and road conditions.
• Wear seat belts and make sure children you are transporting wear theirs. Seat belts save lives and buckling up is the law.
• Pay close attention to what is going on around you. With youngsters not in school, the chance that a child will dash into the path of a vehicle is real. Be ready to avert tragedy.
• Avoid driving while fatigued.
• Remember that alcohol and driving never mix. If you imbibe, make sure that the driving is done by someone who stays unimpaired.
• Stay off your cellphones while driving and never even consider texting.
None of these admonitions should sound surprising.
Most of us have heard similar cautions before.
Even so, many accidents could be avoided if we all exercised common sense and made personal commitments to keep ourselves and others safe.
In that spirit, have a wonderful long holiday weekend.
Enjoy your family and friends.
And help keep the roads safe for everyone.