Meriwether event to be indoors today
The formal dedication of H.C. Meriwether Park will take place today at 11 a.m. in the council chambers at the Fort Dodge Muncipal Building.
This is a change of place. The event is being moved indoors due to anticipated weather, according to Sherry Washington, one of the event planners.
The former Mini Park in Pleasant Valley is being renamed H.C. Meriwether Park in honor of Harry Meriwether, who was one of the first African-Americans in Fort Dodge to own a business. Meriwether was also a World War II veteran and a Mason.
The program will include the following speakers:
• Welcome — Fort Dodge Mayor Matt Bemrich, master of ceremony
• Iowa House District 9 — Rep. Helen Miller
• Harry C. Meriwether family
• Fort Dodge Ward 1 councilman — Dr. Terry Moehnke
• The Messenger — Editor Jane Curtis
• Iowa House District 35 — Rep. Ako Abdul-Samad
• Fort Dodge At-Large Councilman — Neven Conrad
• Fort Dodge City Parks & Rec — Director Lori Branderhorst
• Webster County District 4 — Supervisor Merrill Leffler
• Fort Dodge Pleasant Valley Awareness — Sherry Washington
• Fort Dodge H.C. Meriwether Masonic Lodge — Worship Master Jameel Hameed
• Fort Dodge Growth Alliance
• Closing prayer — Bishop Madai Taylor, Agape Church Kingdom Dominion