Sanders: man’s smoking ignites couch in mobile home

-Messenger photos by Chad Thompson Neeson carries an oxygen tank as he walks past the mobile home, located at 1338 Third Ave. N.W., that caught fire Tuesday night. No one was injured, although an occupant was in the mobile home at the time of the fire, according to Sanders. The man was reportedly asleep on his couch when he dropped a lit cigarette between the couch cushions, Sanders reported. Sanders said the mobile home did have working smoke detectors. Any Fort Dodge resident that does not have a working smoke alarm is asked to call the Fort Dodge Fire Department and the alarms will be installed for free.
-Messenger photos by Chad Thompson Capt. Paul Neeson, of the Fort Dodge Fire Department, left, and Lt. Dennis Mernka, of the Fort Dodge Police Department, help a man who escaped a mobile home fire Tuesday night. The fire was reported at 6:46 p.m. Neighbors were able to put out the fire just before the Fire Department arrived, although Lenny Sanders, assistant fire chief, does not recommend doing that.

COMMENTS