Two Illinois teens face charges in wake of Fort Dodge shooting

Anthony Cotner Jr.

An Illinois man and a younger teenager are facing charges after a shooting in Fort Dodge Friday night.

Anthony Cotner Jr. 19, of Arlington Heights, Illinois, along with a 15-year-old male who was not identified are both facing felony charges following the shooting incident in the 200 block of K Street.

According to the Fort Dodge Police Department, the incident was reported shortly after 6 p.m. Friday by a female who said that a male had just shot at her home.

Officers located evidence that shots had been fired and that a vehicle had been struck.

A suspect vehicle was located at the Kwik Trip Tobacco Outlet Plus, 201 N. 15th St. and four male occupants were detained.

Police determined that at least one male had gained entrance to the home on K Street, but was forced out by its occupants. At this point, police said, another male fired shots into the home. It was when that male retreated that another male fired the shots, police reported.

Cotner is charged with second-degree burglary, a Class C felony, and simple assault, a simple misdemeanor.

The 15-year-old, who is also of Illinois, was charged with intimidation with a dangerous weapon, a Class D felony.

On Saturday, Magistrate William Habhab set bond for Cotner at $10,000 and scheduled a preliminary hearing and bond review for March 9. The simple assault case was continued 180 days.

Cotner remains in the Webster County Jail.

The juvenile was transferred to the Central Iowa Juvenile Detention Center in Eldora.