Dog alerts owner to fire at mobile home north of Moorland

Owner, canine made it out before home buckled

-Messenger photo by Chad Thompson Moorland volunteer firefighers shoot a stream of water at a trailer home that caught fire north of Moorland Tuesday night. The owner of the home escaped without injuries, Moorland Fire Chief Brad Hoffman said.

MOORLAND — A man who was sleeping inside of his mobile home Tuesday night may have been saved by his dog when the structure caught fire north of Moorland, according to Moorland Assistant Fire Chief Brad Hoffman.

According to Hoffman, a space heater tipped over in a bathroom in the home and caught some clothing and other materials on fire.

“It spread pretty quick,” Hoffman said. “I think he was pretty fortunate. The dog was going crazy, woke him up and got him out of the house.”

No one else was home at the time, Hoffman said.

The fire was reported at 9:41 p.m. at 2271 George Ave.

-Messenger photo by Chad Thompson Smoke continues to billow out of a trailer home that caught fire north of Moorland Tuesday night.

When firefighters arrived the mobile home was fully engulfed.

The middle section of the home buckled and the floor gave way.

It was the second structure fire Moorland firefighters responded to Tuesday night. At 7:15 p.m. Tuesday, they responded to a house fire at 724 Grand Ave.

“It’s probably been a while since we have had structure fires like this,” Hoffman said. “We are at that time of year where it’s not really hot yet. People are using more space heaters to keep their house warm.”

The George Avenue home is considered a total loss.

-Messenger photo by Chad Thompson Moorland volunteer firefighters look inside a trailer home, located at 2271 George Ave., that caught fire Tuesday night.

The listed property owner is Ricke A. Nellis, according to information from the Webster County assessor.

Firefighters continued checking for hot spots throughout Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.

The Moorland Volunteer Fire Department, Barnum Volunteer Fire Department, Callender Volunteer Fire Department, and Webster County sheriff’s deputies were on scene.