One dead in EG fire

One transported to Iowa City, multiple pets perish

-Messenger photo by Hans Madsen
Bits of debris lay in the yard at 222 Commercial Ave. S. in Eagle Grove Tuesday morning following a Monday night fire that left one person dead and another injured.

EAGLE GROVE — An Eagle Grove resident is dead and another injured following a Monday night fire in a home at 222 Commercial Ave. S., according to Eagle Grove Fire Chief Tom Peterson.

The name of the victims have not been released by local officials.

Peterson said three people were in the home at the time of the fire.

“Two of them made it out,” he said. “One is in Iowa City, the third wasn’t injured.”

Peterson said crews were dispatched to the fire at 9:33 p.m. Monday night. They were assisted by the Goldfield Fire Department and Eagle Grove Ambulance.

-Messenger photo by Hans Madsen
The back of the home shows extensive damage to the exterior as well as interior. One person died and another was injured in the Monday night fire at 222 Commercial Ave. S. in Eagle Grove.

“It was fully engulfed when we got there,” he said.

Crews immediately began knocking down the fire and doing a search of the home. The victim was located shortly after their arrival.

He said crews were on the scene about four hours working to put the fire out. He and several other firefighters returned for about an hour Tuesday to conduct an investigation.

At the home, there was little beyond broken charred window frames and blackened interior rooms on the Commercial Avenue west side of the home to indicate there had been a fire. The rear of the home, facing east, told a story of an intense fire. Siding had melted off the exterior, in several places it appeared the fire burned all the way through the walls. A small section of roof on an addition to the home was partially collapsed.

A small pile of debris — burned lumber and broken window glass — lay in the middle of the back yard. Several vehicles were parked in the back.

Peterson said the blaze was caused by an electrical fire in the home’s kitchen.

He was not sure if the home had working smoke detectors.

Several cats also died in the fire.

There were no additional injuries to fire crews.

COMMENTS