Dog alerts owner to fire at trailer home north of Moorland

-Messenger photo by Chad Thompson Smoke continues to billow out of a trailer home that caught fire north of Moorland Tuesday night.

MOORLAND – A man who was sleeping inside of his trailer home Tuesday night may have been saved by his dog when the structure caught fire north of Moorland, according to Moorland Assistant Fire Chief Brad Hoffman.

According to Hoffman, a space heater tipped over in a bathroom within the home and caught some clothing and other materials on fire.

“It spread pretty quick,” Hoffman said. “I think he was pretty fortunate. The dog was going crazy, woke him up and got him out of the house.”

No one else was home at the time, Hoffman said.

The fire was reported at 9:41 p.m. at 2271 George Ave.

When firefighters arrived the trailer home was fully engulfed.

It was the second structure fire Moorland firefighers responded to Tuesday night. At 7:15 p.m. Tuesday, they responded to a house fire at 724 Grand Ave.

The George Avenue home is considered a total loss.

The Moorland Volunteer Fire Department, Barnum Volunteer Fire Department, Callender Volunteer Fire Department, and Webster County sheriff’s deputies were on scene.

COMMENTS